Sunday, April 11, 2010

Get rid of that Mommy guilt!

I can't believe how great I feel this morning! I have so much energy, and I have been really "present" with the kids. I think it is because they went to stay with Grandma and Grandpa yesterday -- from about 1 p.m. until 9 a.m. this morning. Yippee! Paul and I had a break!

After we dropped the kids off, we went to get a couples massage; I got a pedicure; we went to a local waterfront restaurant for an appetizer and a cocktail; then we spent the evening chillin' on the patio at a friend's house. It was so relaxing.

I started to miss the kids early, though. The entertainer at the restaurant had his 3-year-old daughter with him -- she was playing around the stage and laying down in his guitar case. It was so cute! Watching her made me miss my little guys and feel guilty for wanting a break from them. It's funny how that works, isn't it? You want a break so bad, but when you get it, you feel guilty for taking it.

Well, this morning when I realized how happy I was to see the kids and play with them, I thought about that guilt, and I realized I shouldn't feel that way, because the mom Tyler and Alyssa got back this morning was a much better mom than the exhausted one that dropped them off at Grandma's house the day before.

As parents, we need a break from our kids. We need time just to be, and we shouldn't feel guilty for taking it. It makes us better parents when we are with them. Happy  Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment