Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Power of One in Marriage

Do you wish your husband was more loving or romantic or attentive? What if I told you that you have the power to help get that ball rolling without his help?

In her book The Whole Hearted Wife, author Erin Smalley gives you 10 tips to a more loving relationship. Who wouldn't enjoy a more loving relationship?

I believe we should all be working to improve our marriages continually -- even if everything is currently great.

Why? Because that's how God intended it to be. He designed our marriages to "grow" us into the people he wants us to be. Sometimes "growing" can feel challenging. It is the unique challenges of the marriage relationship that help us accomplish this. Why else would we all be marring our opposites? Seriously!

I would like to share a quote from the book that I think is so encouraging and empowering to anyone who is married.
“Changing your own behavior may trigger your spouse to want to make changes. The secret lies in how we target our energy and efforts. Because our capacity to change others is entirely based on our willingness to change ourselves. This is not double talk or trickery. It’s simply the reality of relationship dynamics. If I create a change in my own attitude and behavior, my spouse and the marriage itself will automatically be forced to change.”
LOVE it! I think there is a similar quote, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Let's rephrase it, "Be the change you wish to see in your marriage."

Contact me if you'd like help ... and here is another resource. A Focus on the Family interview with the author. You can listen to it for free here.

No comments:

Post a Comment