Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cat's in the Cradle


I love that song Cat's in the Cradle -- it's an oldie, but a goodie. I heard it yesterday for the first time in a long time. I think I hear it differently now that I have children. It's sad. It reminds me of how busy life is and that it sometimes gets in the way of enjoying our children.

Parents older than us always say, "Enjoy them now, because before you know it, they'll be going off to college." While we know this is true, it's hard to hear sometimes when they're driving you crazy and all you want is a little time to yourself ... or to feel like you got one thing accomplished that day.

Being a parent is hard, but, I'd have it no other way. Tyler and Alyssa make my world go 'round! I recognize that they're good for me on many levels -- they teach me many of my life's lessons. Plus, life would not be nearly as fun without them! I just love to watch how silly they can be. And, I like how paying attention to them can take me out of my adult-world head and into the present moment of whatever sweet, innocent goofiness they have going on!

Yesterday, Tyler really impressed me with his creativity. After school he led us in two really fun activities -- first he turned his bedroom into a craft studio, and we made Valentine's. He gave Alyssa and I step-by-step instructions about what to do!

Then, he turned his bedroom into a planetarium. He used a flashlight, his Moon in My Room and a globe that lights up and shows constellations at night. He got this idea from the planetarium at MOSI in Tampa -- a trip that we took last month with the Cub Scouts. Too cute!

It was awesome to see Tyler pretend to behave like the planetarium employee who gave us the show. He mimicked her as best he could and was very informative about the stars, the moon and the sun! What fun!

So, I'm really glad I heard that song yesterday, or I might not have slowed down enough to experience that with the kids. I might have told them I was too busy to play, and I would never have known what fun I missed. I'm so glad I played!

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome Tina, I am so proud and lucky that you are my daughter!!

    ReplyDelete