Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Who says lullabies have to be "official" lullabies?


Today, Alyssa and I sat at the kitchen table and colored Christmas pictures. To help entertain her and set the mood, I started singing some Christmas songs for her. That reminded me of when Tyler was born -- December 23, 2002!

As a first-time mom, I didn't know any "real" lullabies, so I sang him Christmas songs instead! I sang the same four songs every time -- for as long as I needed to. :) I honestly can't remember exactly which four right now, but I think my serenade included Up on the Housetop, Rudolph, Jingle Bells and Frosty the Snowman. Hey! At least I didn't sing Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer!

I know. I know. You're all shocked and surprised that I did not research lullabies before Tyler was born. It is true. I was not prepared for that! Now you know -- I am not the perfect mother after all!

Sometimes I felt silly singing Christmas songs, instead of real lullabies, but mostly that was in May, long after the Christmas season was over! Luckily, before I knew it, December had rolled around again! It's like fashion -- if you hold onto it long enough it will come back into style! :) Just kidding!

Anyway, thinking of all of this today reminded me of a great book for moms. It's called I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids. If you haven't read it, I would strongly encourage it! It takes a hilarious approach at addressing the image of perfection we all have as moms. I could write on this topic for hours! But not today!

So, now you know one of my (many) imperfections! I sang Christmas songs for lullabies to my first child! Tee Hee Hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment