Monday, November 16, 2009

Reading the Signs

It’s fun to be alert to the signs that are all around you – signs from above that you are doing the right thing.

Today as I was checking out with my groceries at Publix, I noticed those prepackaged food donation bags at the end of the counter. I heard a thought in my head to buy one of them, and I listened. The price of it was $7.74.

I did it because it made me feel good. It felt like I was officially kicking off the holiday season – right then and there – by doing something nice for someone else. That’s the spirit, right?

Well, the cool thing about that donation, in addition to all of the warm-fuzzies I was feeling on the inside, was that when the cashier handed my receipt back to me he said, “You saved $7 today!” I looked at my receipt, it was true! I had saved $7.52.

I smiled a great big smile, gave a little giggle and pointed at the bag with the price of just over $7 on it! The cashier instantly connected with what I was saying and laughed with me.

I certainly wasn’t looking for a reward by buying that bag, but right then and there I got one. I felt like spending $7 and saving $7 was a message … an instant reward … a thank you for doing the right thing! It made me smile. (Gotta love Publix and their buy one get one free deals!!!)

I know it may seem small to others, but I find taking joy in these small things really makes me feel happy!

So, on that note, let’s get this holiday season started!

No comments:

Post a Comment