Thursday, January 16, 2014

Remembering my Papa

Mutual adoration ... that never stopped.
Eight years ago today my Papa passed away. I had flown in the night before to try and say goodbye for the last time, but I was too late. He passed away during the night while I slept.

The next morning my father and I drove to his house, where he was still in his favorite lazy boy chair -- a place he spent much time in during the last few months of his life. He had lung cancer and was under the care of Hope Hospice at home.


The house was so peaceful. He was so peaceful. I just stared at him for a while with so much love in my heart. He was an awesome grandfather. I wrote him a letter that I wanted to read to him while he was still alive, but I didn't get that chance. Instead I read it aloud to him after he passed while the whole family was gathered around. I'm not sure how I made it through it, but somehow I did. 
Me with my Grandmother and Papa in May 2004.

As odd as this may sound, the two days following his passing were two of the most treasured days of my life. All of our family had flown in from around the country. My grandfather did not want a funeral, so we all just sat around my grandmother's house telling stories about him, laughing and bonding once again as a family. I will never forget those days. I love you, Papa!

No comments:

Post a Comment